The Australian Family Coalition has warned, the Greens are seeking to push radical new abortion laws through the South Australian Parliament.
“These laws are arguably the most extreme in Australia – and amongst the worst in the world,” AFC said.
“The Statutes Amendment (Abortion Law Reform) Bill, introduced by Greens MLC Tammy Franks shortly before Christmas, has been spruiked as ‘progressive’ and promoting a ‘healthy choice’ – but the stark reality is otherwise.”
AFC went on to warn that if passed, the law would:
- Allow abortion up to birth, for any reason or none;
- Permit sex-selective abortions;
- Remove the need for a woman seeking an abortion to be examined by two doctors. In fact, she wouldn’t need to see a doctor at all! According to the Greens, she could see a nurse, midwife, or pharmacist;
- Allow DIY medical abortions at home (that is, the prescribing of abortion drugs) – including regional areas hours away from any medical assistance;
- Deny vulnerable women and couples last-minute help by placing euphemistically-named 150m ‘health access zones’ around abortion clinics. The maximum penalties for even communicating with someone about a pregnancy-related matter in such a zone would be $10,000 fine or two years jail.
AFC went on to point out: “The proposed law doesn’t even go through the pretence of creating new provisions for abortion in the SA Health Care Act. It simply removed almost all references to abortion from law – creating a free-for-all while threatening those who would help vulnerable women with up to two years’ jail time.”
“We have a chance to stop these extreme laws spreading across the country – by stopping them right now in South Australia,” AFC said.
A national petition, established to urge MPs to vote against the bill, has already gathered more than 11,000 signatures. But more signatures are needed! If you would like to sign the petition, click here or visit AFC’s website.
Share your thoughts